Buy Claire Products to Support her Vetting


Look for a personalized gift at Zazzle.

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Monday--Banks and Blogs

(Claire sleeping with a smile April 2011)

I went to sleep last night knowing Monday would be a better day, and woke up to find $120 had been deposited to Claire's ChipIn fund! Unfortunately, the ChipIn still says $0 donated, and I think it's because I've been unable to claim the funds so far. The final step in the ChipIn setup requires a Paypal account linked to a bank account. Since I have paypal for my Etsy shop, I kept getting error messages when trying to set up something for Claire. So this morning started with another trip to the bank, to close the account I'd just opened on Friday (that was linked to my own) and establish an entirely separate one that I could link up to Paypal. I also deposited everything raised yesterday at Nuts for Mutts, bringing the total raised so far (including the ChipIn funds) to $616.86.

We had a follow-up phone call this afternoon with Dr. Gorgi, Claire's surgeon. He didn't have much to add but did say he'll give us 20% off on the surgery when we've met our goal.

After researching a few more, I chose a therapist to use for Claire--at least to start. She has an appointment tomorrow (Tues 6/28) afternoon with Dr. Jackie Grey at Limehouse Vetrinary in Toluca Lake. It's close to the house, and she was recommended by another dog owner in the neighborhood. Claire's surgeon, Dr. Gorgi, said he's had a couple clients go to her in the past with positive results. But he also spoke strongly against chiropractic care for Claire's condition, recommending accupuncture instead. I ordered Claire's records and will pick up a copy of the MRI images before seeing the new vet. I feel like I'm getting a second opinion tomorrow and can only judge as I go--at this moment, I'm not convinced by anyone.

I ran out of pain meds for Claire over the weekend, when all pharmacies were closed. I finally found a compounding pharmacy in my neighborhood today, but filled another prescription that did not need to be compounded at Costco, for fear that the compounding place would be much more expensive. When I compared their pricing, they were about 33% more than Costco, so I was glad I'd split them up, though it took nearly two hours to get both errands done. But to their credit, the compounding pharmacy told me in future they would match the Costco pricing for me to save me an additional trip. So for anyone in a similar position, it's worth it to do your research--then ask to price match. The worst that can happen is being turned down.

The majority of the day was all about Claire's blog. I want a site independent of Facebook for those who aren't on it. I'll use the blog to encourage donations and allow donors to track Claire's progress and recovery, as a journal to help me track whom I have approached and the responses, and as a resource for others who face difficulties (monetary or otherwise) in caring for their pet's medical conditions. I'm hoping the sidebars and resources will be useful to others long after we've been through this process and that some good will come of our story. Not to mention, on a blog we can use affiliate opportunities to raise funds through click-throughs and online purchasing, as well as administer raffles and other giveaways.

While I was blogging, a kind friend helped me begin to pull together my financials. I should be current by the end of the week, which will enable me to apply to more private foundations.

Goodnight kisses from Claire~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Products Featuring Claire's Brother, Chance ~ Proceeds Benefit Claire's Surgery Fund


Shop other personalized gifts from Zazzle.

Cool Stuff from Zazzle Featuring the Squirrels in Our Yard


Design a personalized gift at Zazzle.

Cool Stuff from Our Zazzle Store featuring Quilts


Browse other personalized gifts from Zazzle.

Cool Stuff from Our Zazzle Store Featuring Needlepoint


Make a personalized gift at Zazzle.

Cool Stuff from Our Zazzle Store Featuring the Chalk Festival


Create a personalized gift at Zazzle.

Claire's Mom Sells Vintage Pyrex and Craft Items on Etsy Too ~~ Help Sponsor Claire's Vet Care