Buy Claire Products to Support her Vetting


Look for a personalized gift at Zazzle.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

2nd Opinions from OSU (Oklahoma State)



I'm making plans for a 2nd opinion towards the end of the month when Claire's crate rest is complete.

The vet out here in Los Angeles is absurdly expensive. Our surgery (hemilaminectomy) is estimated at nearly $6,000 and that did not include the $2,000 MRI that was done to diagnose in June. I'm looking at other options without sacrificing quality.

If you're interested, I've posted the surgery estimate on Claire's blog at
http://sponsorclaire.blogspot.com/2011/07/claires-surgery-estimate.html

I also have Claire's MRI films on a disc to take with me, along with her records.

I've searched the Dodgerslist database, but didn't find any info, so I was wondering what type of experience folks have had with the vet school/hospital at OSU (Oklahoma State University). I have a friend in Stillwater and another with airline miles to burn and am considering flying Claire out there for evaluation and surgery if warranted. I'm hoping a teaching hospital will serve us better, and I've seen/heard stories of OSU being on the forefront of IVDD treatment.

I just spoke for a half hour or so with a Dr. Moorer at OSU, a second year surgical candidate, who ran over the kinds of treatments they specialize in there. He encouraged me to pursue physical therapy till Claire is stabilized for a month or so following the crate rest, then consider Laser Disc Ablation as a preventative measure. So much to think about!

Any feedback? Please post comments on the blog or email me directly.

1 comment:

  1. I posted this same request on the Dodgerslist forum, and received an email response that led to a phone call this afternoon.

    Sunny, who has just been through IVDD surgery with her pet, Lily, took the time to share her experience at OSU. She highly recommended them and gave me direct contacts and referrals to the following:

    OSU Veterinary Teaching Hospital
    405-744-7000

    recommended:
    Dr. Jeremiah Moorer

    3rd year residents:
    Rochat m.rochat@okstate.edu
    Dugat danielle.dugat@okstate.edu
    McKeirnan kelci.mckeirnan@okstate.edu

    ReplyDelete

Products Featuring Claire's Brother, Chance ~ Proceeds Benefit Claire's Surgery Fund


Shop other personalized gifts from Zazzle.

Cool Stuff from Zazzle Featuring the Squirrels in Our Yard


Design a personalized gift at Zazzle.

Cool Stuff from Our Zazzle Store featuring Quilts


Browse other personalized gifts from Zazzle.

Cool Stuff from Our Zazzle Store Featuring Needlepoint


Make a personalized gift at Zazzle.

Cool Stuff from Our Zazzle Store Featuring the Chalk Festival


Create a personalized gift at Zazzle.

Claire's Mom Sells Vintage Pyrex and Craft Items on Etsy Too ~~ Help Sponsor Claire's Vet Care