Buy Claire Products to Support her Vetting


Look for a personalized gift at Zazzle.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Summer Heat


In doggy world, Friday was overbearingly hot here in the valley. We've started a trajectory into the nineties, hitting 95 degrees by Sunday. Our little guesthouse has no insulation, and a high ceiling in the living room, so the heat simply builds. Claire & Chance had Pedialyte available to them as well as their water bowl, but the pups had to languish through the afternoon. I've installed AC units, but since the old structure isn't well sealed, they have to run pretty much constantly, and the bill gets up to $500 a month in the height of summer. Given Claire's surgery costs, I'm trying to forego the power bill as long as possible.

On the phone Friday, I followed up to see if the vet could hold an account for us so folks could donate directly to them, bypassing the need to hand over money to me as a stranger. I'm still waiting for an answer back. I also called Dr. Grey to see if we can work out some sort of arrangement for the acupuncture. If we can't waive the examination fee each session, Claire will probably have to stop going. At over $100 per visit, it's simply out of our reach.

Friday morning started by finishing up my 2009 taxes and mailing them off. We started on 2010 but are still in the process of sorting that out. I also finally did complete a bunch of insurance claims forms, bringing us up to date on those.

I made a couple more donation jars to be prepared for events over the weekend. I approached one locally owned pet shop and for the first time was unsuccessful--because the manager was gone for the holiday. I'll go back on Tuesday.

Jacquie Hanson of Practical Dog Training was Chance & Claire's long-time trainer. We attend group classes in a park on Saturday mornings as often as we are able. I filled her in on Claire's situation over the phone. It was great to get support from our regular community, and will be visiting them with Chance on Saturday morning.

I continued to network with nonprofits, trying to find a rescue group under whose guise I can apply for a grant from the LABC.

I posted an ad on Craigslist to spread the word and hopefully gain some blog followers for Claire. I also read through a bunch of postings in the pet section and came across a listing of sources put together by some generous person who has obviously been in my position. Next week I'll be following up with these private foundations.

Claire came alive in the evening when the heat finally broke, and we had a great long snuggle in her bed on the floor of the bedroom. It turned into an awesome photo shoot. The kids were more amenable to the camera than they've been in a while, and I was able to capture them both in the same frame, which doesn't happen all that often. ;o)

Claire's feeling somewhat better and is getting to the point where she wants to go with us on our walks. It breaks my heart to have to leave her behind just to walk Chance but she's still on the recommended six-week crate rest. This is that in-between time where she could actually damage herself because she's feeling so good on the meds she might overstep her limits. Yet I can still tell she's not 100% when she still makes breathy sounds of mild pain, and doesn't move when I come into the room, or doesn't insist on following Chance up into my bed at night.....guess I'll take whatever small improvements I can get.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Products Featuring Claire's Brother, Chance ~ Proceeds Benefit Claire's Surgery Fund


Shop other personalized gifts from Zazzle.

Cool Stuff from Zazzle Featuring the Squirrels in Our Yard


Design a personalized gift at Zazzle.

Cool Stuff from Our Zazzle Store featuring Quilts


Browse other personalized gifts from Zazzle.

Cool Stuff from Our Zazzle Store Featuring Needlepoint


Make a personalized gift at Zazzle.

Cool Stuff from Our Zazzle Store Featuring the Chalk Festival


Create a personalized gift at Zazzle.

Claire's Mom Sells Vintage Pyrex and Craft Items on Etsy Too ~~ Help Sponsor Claire's Vet Care