Buy Claire Products to Support her Vetting


Look for a personalized gift at Zazzle.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Ramps, Grants, and Grooming

(Pics from this week. A sweet chin resting on my leg
while I'm blogging keeps me motivated.)

I started a new job this week, so while I was in prep, working only eight hour days, Claire had friends come to visit her (she's still on crate rest) and take her out for potty breaks! They were all people Claire knows well and I'm sure she enjoyed the visits. Thanks to Heather, Tom and Luke for helping out.

A friend of mine in construction came to measure our couch so that he can make a ramp for Claire from leftover wood he has lying around. That will save me several hundred dollars, from the web research I've done. Stairs will be on the Not Allowed list for the rest of Claire's life, so this is a big deal and part of our permanent lifestyle changes.

Claire continued to have Laser Therapy sessions at Dr. Grey's Limehouse Vet in Toluca Lake. This week we went on Monday and Friday, so they were well spaced out. I can't tell if it's doing any good, but don't think it can harm, so I'm willing to give it a shot. She's only had about three treatments so far, so I'm giving it time. I don't know if I'll be able to get her back there for a week and a half, until this job is finished.

And I got a phone call Friday from Actors & Others for Animals in response to an application for assistance I'd submitted. She was semi-encouraging: they can't assist us at this time, but I gave her a full update on Claire, and she gave me her name and number to call back when Claire has surgery, and they may be able to help at that time. I'll have to follow up with Beverly at 818-752-6725 towards the end of August.

A hundred dollar donation check came in Saturday's mail, bringing our current total from all sources to $1,700 towards Claire's surgery. In addition, I have verbal pledges of $200 more. I am continually astounded at the outpouring of support for her, though I certainly know how very special she is! I couldn't be more grateful.

Grant requests are still pending with the LA Breakfast Club and the Onyx and Breezy Foundation, amongst others. I have a couple more prepared that just need final documents copied. And I still have several other lists of organizations to go through. Please keep Claire in your thoughts and prayers.

This morning, I thought I saw unsteadiness in Claire's left rear leg. I put a leash on her and walked her about twenty feet alongside our house to observe her gait. Because this involved going out the gate beyond our back yard, Claire was ecstatic! It was the first time she'd left the bedroom or back yard in over a month. I was so sorry to turn her around and head back inside. I can't tell if I'm seeing something consistent or just being a worrywart. So I continue to watch and be as precautionary as possible, relying on the crate rest to work magical healing.

I've also started noticing what may be pressure sores on Claire, and scratch marks behind one ear where she's been scratching obsessively. I know she's mainly in one position in the crate, and since I was working this week, I'm not around to stop her scratching or licking. There was only one light scratch, so I'm going easy on the cone of shame. If I see more scratches appearing I'll have to break it out. Not sure how to treat pressure sores on her elbows--I'll have to call the vet in the morning.

Tonight Claire laid on her side and I was able to clip two paws' nails with old-fashioned clippers. I can't use the PediPaws anymore since I can't cradle her on her back. I'm not in a hurry to do her nails if it will in any way jeopardize her crate rest, but she was so sleepy we managed to negotiate partial. I'll have to re-learn all kinds of small tasks to accommodate her new abilities, so this is just the first.

Saturday night I popped a DVD into my computer and laid on the bedroom floor for some cuddle time. I don't have a t.v. in my bedroom, and Claire is barred from the living room for fear she'll jump on the couch. I've really needed a night of stress relief! It was nice just to chill and snuggle with Claire for a while, and she was happy to oblige.

Today I added a widget to Claire's blog containing all the Zazzle products I've created from Claire photos over the years. The cards are customizable too, so the greeting can be changed, or the image can be used on other items, like t-shirts, mugs, and canvas bags too. Of course, the proceeds from sales will go to support Claire's vet costs. When I get some time I need to add more products, and may create a calendar as well.

Chance went to the park with me on both Saturday and Sunday mornings, and Claire was not happy to be left home alone. I'm glad to see her spirit returning but can't bear to continually disappoint her. August can't end soon enough!

Claire will get to hang out with our trainer, Claire's Aunt Jacquie, while I'm working this week as my hours will be longer. I also want someone monitoring Claire more closely, rather than just checking in for potty breaks. Though I trust Jacquie to strictly enforce the crate time, just being in another environment should provide more stimulation for Claire and I hope tire her out. While I won't have much time for blogging during the week, I'll try and keep Claire's Facebook page lively with a few posts. Please stop on by to say hello and become Claire's friend!

(Not sure if the redness is summer heat or a reaction to the fish oil I started adding to her food. Regardless, Claire didn't like the camera flash!)

1 comment:

  1. It's great to hear all of the accomodations that your making to help sweet Claire.

    Nubbin wiggles,
    Oskar

    ReplyDelete

Products Featuring Claire's Brother, Chance ~ Proceeds Benefit Claire's Surgery Fund


Shop other personalized gifts from Zazzle.

Cool Stuff from Zazzle Featuring the Squirrels in Our Yard


Design a personalized gift at Zazzle.

Cool Stuff from Our Zazzle Store featuring Quilts


Browse other personalized gifts from Zazzle.

Cool Stuff from Our Zazzle Store Featuring Needlepoint


Make a personalized gift at Zazzle.

Cool Stuff from Our Zazzle Store Featuring the Chalk Festival


Create a personalized gift at Zazzle.

Claire's Mom Sells Vintage Pyrex and Craft Items on Etsy Too ~~ Help Sponsor Claire's Vet Care